Abortion isn’t necessarily as “safe and easy” as many make it out to be. Here is a list of the risks of abortion – surgical and chemical:
Future Ectopic Pregnancies:
- Studies show that the risk of an ectopic or tubal (not in the uterus but in the fallopian tubes that lead to the uterus) pregnancy is 30% higher for women who have had one abortion and up to four times higher for women with two or more abortions.1
- When a woman has an ectopic pregnancy, she has a 12% risk of dying in a future pregnancy. Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID):
- 5% of women suffer PID following induced (or surgical) abortion. PID can lead to fever and infertility (not being able to get pregnant again).2
- There is a 23% higher risk of infection if you have an STI (Sexually Transmitted Disease).
- 40% of the sexually active are suspected carriers of STIs.3
Reputable studies suggest that women who abort face a 50% increase in breast cancer. If the woman has a family history of breast cancer, this rate doubles with each successive abortion if the woman is under 18 or over 30 years of age when the abortion takes place.4
Abruptio Placenta is a condition in pregnancy where the sac holding the baby (the placenta) tears away from the uterine lining. This can result in severe life-threatening bleeding. Women who have experienced abortion have a 60% increase in their risk for placenta previa in future pregnancies.5
Infertility and sterility mean that a woman cannot get pregnant. Abortion causes sterility in 2-5% of the women who have an abortion.6
50% of women who have had abortions report experiencing emotional and psychological problems lasting for months or years. These emotions include, but aren’t limited to:
- acute feeling of grief
- fear of disclosure
- preoccupation with babies or getting pregnant again
- sexual dysfunction
- termination of relationships
- emotional coldness
- increased alcohol and drug abuse
- eating disorders
- flashbacks of the abortion procedure
- anniversary syndrome
- repeat abortions
Many of these women go on to report that they regret their choice and would do anything to go back and undo the decision that resulted in so much pain.
Medical (Chemical) abortion risks include (but are not limited to):
RU486: Serious and sometimes fatal infections and bleeding may occur following mifepristone (RU486) use including.
- Sustained fever;
- Severe abdominal pain;
- Uterine cramping;
- Prolonged heavy bleeding;
- Nausea, diarrhea, vomiting;
- Headache or dizziness;
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. RU486 may not work and you may still need a surgical abortion to end the pregnancy. There is a chance that there may be birth defects from RU486 if the pregnancy is not ended.
“The Morning After Pill:” (Emergency Contraception Pill) – If taken within 72 hours of intercourse, it prevents pregnancy 75% of the time. Medical problems are similar to birth control pills; however, effects could be more pronounced. More information about this method is available at our center. Please call or come by.8
Methotrexate: (given prior to 8 weeks) Doctors don’t like to prescribe this chemical because of its high toxicity and unpredictable and serious side effects. Those side effects include but are not limited to:
- dry cough, shortness of breath;
- fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms;
- diarrhea, vomiting, white patches or sores inside your mouth or on your lips;
- diarrhea, blood in your urine or stools;
- bone marrow depression;
- nausea, stomach pain, low fever, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).
- liver damage;
- bleeding of your gums;
- heavy bleeding for as long as 40 days;
- abortion may occur anywhere;
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. This chemical may not work, and a surgical abortion may still be required.9
Psychological/ Emotional Trauma: In addition to the risks listed above, women having chemical abortions often see the complete tiny bodies of their unborn child and are even able to see the child’s developing hands, eyes, etc. So traumatic is this for some women that it is recommended that women unprepared for the experience not take the drugs.10
If you are considering abortion because of your circumstances, know that you can change your situation. If you aren’t sure about this choice, take time to find out why you have these feelings. We are here to help you in any situation regardless of your decision.
- Abortion: Your Risks, Stafford, VA.: American Life League.
- Is Sex Safe? Lewiston, N.Y.: Life Cycle Books.
- You Have A Right To Know, Jefferson City, MO.: Easton Publishing Co.
- Abortion: Your Risks.
- You Have A Right To Know.
- Teri K. Reisser and Paul C. Reisser, Identifying and Overcoming Post-Abortion Syndrome, Colorado Springs, CO.: Focus on the Family
- “Oral Contraceptives & The Morning After Pill,” Take Heart, Columbus Ohio: Heartbeat International
- “Abortion Some Medical Facts,” NRLC